Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tater Tots: It's what's for dinner.

I am a food snob. Not terribly so, but somewhat. I have never been above making fun of what my co-workers bring for lunch, or talk about cooking for dinner. One particular casserole recipe always made me roll my eyes and feel superior. My friend Kathy calls it “cowboy casserole,” and I used to make fun of her for cooking it. My brother calls it Tater Tot Casserole; he is a big fan. His friend Ben’s dad, who was the epitome of a low life, used to make it for them dinner sometimes when Matt and Ben were kids. The fact that it contains Tater Tots and creamed, condensed soup, and was the culinary signature of a man who ought to have been in jail for child neglect was enough for me to write it off as something that I would NEVER even try.
And then I started cooking for a picky 14-year old boy, who turns his nose up at anything containing onions, spice or anything “weird.” I am used to people loving my cooking. I am not used to people looking like they’re going to throw up all over their plate when they taste what I’ve made for dinner. My brother used to actually do that—throw up all over his plate. At his daycare, they had a rule that everyone had to at least try what was on their plate. But they didn’t make Matt follow that rule.  I have discovered that Matt and Peter’s tastes are similar, so I find myself often wondering, “Would Matt eat this?” when trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I find myself buying mac & cheese, Hamburger Helper, and various other foods that just seem wrong to me.
Tater Tot Casserole has become a staple in the house, though. It’s gluten-free, so my step-daughter can eat it, and the combination of meat, cheese and potatoes is actually pretty delicious. I’ve found that if I chop them finely enough, I can sneak some onion and mushrooms into the ground beef or sausage, while it’s browning, and no one complains.  I’m sure it’s not health food, but it’s not terrible, either. And, no one looks like they’re going to hurl. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment